What is Underbite surgery? How can Underbite surgery help in a person who has an underbite condition and has to undergo a procedure? Underbite surgery is a form of procedure done to treat people with an underbite dental condition. It is a medical treatment to align teeth correctly and is performed by an oral surgeon. If you are have this condition and underbite surgery is needed, visit specialists experienced in orthodontics now.
What is Underbite?
An underbite is a word used for a dental condition when your lower teeth extend outward farther than your upper front teeth. An underbite is also known as Class III malocclusion, and this condition is rarer than the overbite. You will feel pain and discomfort when you have this condition. And underbite will also make you feel self-conscious that will result in a decrease in your confidence level. This condition forms a bulldog-like look in your face and mouth. There are cases that underbite can become severe, that causes your lower teeth to extend far forward. Underbite surgery could be needed in these cases. And other cases the underbite will become milder and even nearly invisible.
It is said that an underbite is more than just a cosmetic issue. While some people who have mild conditions may learn to live, but it is different with people who have severe cases. People with severe underbite may cause them some oral health problems and these as follows:
- People with severe underbite will have the difficulty to bite and chew food.
- In extreme cases, people with this condition will experience challenges with speaking or speech impediments.
- People with severe underbite will feel pain in your mouth and face due to a misalignment of your jaw.
Causes of Underbite
Your teeth naturally grow in such a way that your upper teeth fits a little over your lower teeth. And the molars in your mouth should fit into one another. With a proper tooth alignment, it will keep you from biting your lips, cheeks, or tongue when you eat. Several factors may affect the alignment of your teeth. And these factors can cause you to develop an underbite and may progress to severe cases, and that underbite surgery is needed. These factors are as follows:
- One factor that can cause you to develop an underbite is your childhood habits. There are some of your childhood habits that may increase the risk for you to develop an underbite or other dental misalignment. And these childhood habits are:
- Thumb sucking is on childhood habit that can cause you to develop an underbite.
- When you keep pushing your teeth with your tongue, this will cause you to develop an underbite.
- Underbite can develop when children above age three use a pacifier.
- A long-term feeding from a bottle beyond infant years can cause to develop an underbite.
- Another factor that can cause you to develop an underbite is through genetics. In most cases, an underbite is inherited from a family member or relative. You are more likely susceptible to develop an underbite if at least one of your family member also has it. Besides, genetics also can adopt a person’s tooth size and shape and jaw. Some may be born with teeth very close together, abnormally shaped, impacted, or don’t fit together properly. There are also specific defects like a cleft palate or lip that may appear at birth. And all of these conditions can sometimes result in malocclusion.
- One factor that can cause you to develop an underbite is if you experience an injury. Any injuries to the face or even the severe ones may cause permanent damage to your jawbones. Though broken jawbones can be repaired, it may not always fit together after it is aligned surgically. And the condition can cause you to develop an underbite.
- Also, another factor that can cause you to develop an underbite is when you have a tumour.
If you have a tumour on your mouth or in your jawbones, it may cause your jaws to protrude. And this condition can cause you to develop an underbite.
Underbite surgery is needed on cases which are severe or extreme or for older patients. Underbite surgery helps you in shortening and reshaping of your lower jaw. And in some cases, your upper jaw can also be lengthened to cover your lower teeth. Wires, plates and screws may be used to maintain the correct shape of your jawbone. However, underbite surgery has its risks such as scarring, bleeding, infection and general anesthesia. At the very least, underbite surgery can improve the appearance of an underbite.
Underbite surgery is performed by the certified, experienced oral surgeons and can successfully correct underbites. If you are wondering of how much it will cost you, underbite surgery’s cost will depend on your surgeon or provider.
Underbite surgery is a form of procedure done to treat people with an underbite dental condition. It is a medical treatment to align teeth correctly and is performed by an oral surgeon. But, underbite surgery has its risks such as scarring, bleeding, infection and general anesthesia.